Did you know that you can turn off that annoying beep that occurs during error or alert messages on your desktop PC? Kill the useless onboard speakers in your desktop by following these steps I found on Slash Dot Dash…
Kill the annoying Windows Beep (internal speaker)
Perform the following steps to disable your machine’s system beep:
1. Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
2. Expand System Tools and select Device Manager.
3. From the View menu, select Show hidden devices.
4. Expand Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
5. Right-click Beep, and select Properties.
6. Select the Drivers tab.
7. Click Stop. You can also change the start-up type to Disabled so the beep service never starts.
(Copied verbatim from this beep bleep site since I always forget how to do this and it really drives me beeping mad – especially on laptops where you can’t easily disconnect the interal speaker to permanently stop the beeping).